On Tuesday, June 13 some of my most dear friends, artists, and creators joined me at Cafe Jane in Highland Park to celebrate 1 year of Mischief Managed. I was overwhelmed at how encouraging and thoughtful my community has been and was that night. I was reminded that it took a complex fabric of good people to spur me on and expect greatness from me.
I wanted to take a vulnerable moment to say out loud, "thank you and please continue to hold me accountable". As a freelance artist and full-time entrepreneur it's easy to discount your work, time, and worth. But as I have encouraged my clients and community I in turn was pushed to practice what I preach. I had to choose to celebrate!
In case you didn't get to make it, here's what you missed.
YEAR 1 ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Empowered local artists to self publish 2 books and release 3 albums
- Supported 50 local artists to display their work in South LA
- Coordinated a two-day live video shoot
- Helped artists re-brand and create templates
- Managed 3 national tours
- Led 5 guest lectures at Pasadena City College, Pomona Arts High School, and Cantinas Dance Company
- Spoke with elected officials as Arts Delegate at LA City Hall
- Added a Marketing Intern to the team
YEAR 1 FINDINGS:
- The top 3 topics I found in common amongst artists: They felt alone, original, and unworthy
- Most artist are extremely hard-working and hyper-focused
- Most artist have not been given tools to succeed as professionals
- All artists are entrepreneurs
- I can help
YEAR 2 GOALS:
*Continue to empower more artists than ever
*Provide more local gathering for shared learning
*Grow our team and quality of service