TOP 5 WAYS TO LEVEL UP YOUR WORK
1. File for a DBA, Fictitious Business Name
- This automatically makes clients and audiences see beyond you. It costs $26 in Los Angeles County to file 1 piece of paper to claim your business name.
- Simply google your county clerk's website and search their online database with your business name. Once you find one that is not taken print out the 1 sheet of paper, get it notarized, mail it with the necessary funds and then publish your name. Congratulations!
2. Create a business bank account
- Creating a separate business bank really streamlines your money and is a huge help in saving money and asking people for money. You can then write checks from under your business name. You can also track your income simpler if you split funds with other artists. EXAMPLE: You wrote a song with someone and you now need to make sure they get 50% of the profits. Some artists or manager will ask for bank statements. Instead of showing them your entire list of chipotle and Target purchases you can simply show your business profits.
- MAJOR TRICK: Simply open a paypal or venmo under your business name to create invoices and track who still owes you money.
3. Create a website and/or portfolio
- There are so many ways to do this and I would say it's better to try then to not have any online presence at all. Some recommended sites would be Square Space, Wix, or Wordpress.
- ONE MAJOR SHORT CUT: Simply create a facebook, etsy, flickr, or instagram page for artwork. This can be a huge cost and time savings while still getting your artwork out there. Put your best foot forward!
4. Having meetings in a consistent place
- Find a local coffee shop that has wifi, outlet plugs, and grab a coffee. Establish the space so that guests feel welcome and safe. Even if you work from home it's great to meet with colleagues or clients outside the home to LEVEL UP their thinking.
- Another note I would add is considering opening a physical PO BOX. Imagine your home address on all the W-9s you will be receiving. You can eliminate that opening the smallest PO BOX at your local USPS.
5. Use a professional email address and professional language
- This is FREE so simply head over to gmail or yahoo and create a professional email address. EXAMPLE: if you currently use something with your birthday, social security, or phone number you need to get a new email. DOLPHINLOVER85@YAHOO could easily be ANGIESART@YAHOO by day.
- For professional language, I PROMISE, you will get taken more serious by friends, family, clients, agents if you keep your emails, texts, and phone calls business professional. AT THE VERY LEAST business casual (simply using complete sentences and replying in a timely manner can do wonders). I understand adapting to your industry but since all these tools are used differently keeping a professional tone is helpful to all people.